The land for Alexandra Park was acquired by the City Improvement Trust in 1866 and passed on to the Corporation. The original parcel of land was almost 80 acres, with a further 5 acres being donated by Alexander Dennistoun.
More land was later acquired, notably 33 acres of the Lands of Kennyhill in 1891. The planting of trees and shrubs in the park was considerably hampered because of the pollution in the soil, much of it believed to have come from the nearby Blochairn Iron Works.
The park contained an 18 hole golf course (later reduced to 9 holes) a magnificent cast-iron fountain, from the Saracen Foundry works of Walter Macfarlane & Co., as well as a bandstand and model yacht pond.